COLTRIX® Purified Porcine Collagen
For Building Stronger High-Density Scaffolds for use in Tissue Engineering Research, Cell Culture Systems, and Biochemistry
- Enables the production of high density dry sponges (scaffolds)
- Enables the production of threads, rods and larger solid structures with greater mechanical strength
- Can be diluted to provide a broad range of pore size and mechanical properties
- Room temperature (25˚C)
- Sterile to SAL 10-3
- > 99.9% collagen content
- Ready to use
- No need to neutralize prior to use
- Ready to mix with any living cells
- Ready to coat, mix or overlay on any other biomaterial or surface
- Ready to mix with other proteins such as fibrinogen
- Can be handled as a putty or injectable material
- High viscosity resists dissolution in aqueous media
- Maintains shape
- Retains cellular and other material contents through irrigation
- Drawback: Not transparent for microscopy
- Gains cohesiveness at 37˚C
- Loses cohesiveness at 4˚C
- Rapid start time
- High density permits the release of bioactive agents without loss of physical characteristics
- Bioactive agents may be mixed as solids or dissolved in compatible solvents prior to mixing with Coltrix
- Ready to mix with living cells: mix and grow
- Retains cohesiveness even when diluted 2:1 with solutions containing cells
- Suitable for encapsulating organoids and tissues
- Research and Development (Not for human use)
- Swine (Porcine) Hide – Pepsin Extracted
- Room temperature (25˚C)
COLTRIX® is 3% Type-I atelo-collagen synthesized intracellularly as individual pro-chains, each with N-terminal and C-terminal propeptide, to aid in the formation of a tightly-packed triple helical structure. Telopeptides remain intact at the terminals of the collagen and are involved in site-specific interactions that facilitate formation of collagen fibrils as well as cross-links necessary for fibril stabilization. Removal of the telopeptide regions allows for reduced antegenicity of this product.
COLTRIX® Collagen Manufacturing Process
Porcine dermal collagen is extracted with pepsin. It is sterile filtered and concentrated by dehydrating to 3% (30 mg/mL). The concentrated collagen is calibrated to pH 7 and dissolved to a concentration of 3%. COLTRIX® Collagen undergoes physiochemical testing, sterility testing, and endotoxin testing to ensure maximum quality.
COLTRIX Collagen is indicated for research use only in the U.S. The product is medical-grade and cleared for clinical use in the Republic of Korea (South Korea). COLTRIX Collagen undergoes a series of biocompatibility tests for effective use in biological research. This product is a sterile solution.
Forms a gel at pH7 and is ideal for 3D scaffolds for culture or coating plastic ware for increased cell adhesion. Applications include but are not limited to research for tissue engineering and wound healing, as well as for building a wide range of 3D and 2D structures, with and without cells.
COLTRIX Collagen comes in a sterile pre-filled syringe containing 1 mL of 3% collagen gel. The only excipient of this translucent, sterile gel is phosphate buffered saline at pH 7 (1.1% sodium phosphate; 0.5% sodium chloride; 95.4% water).
COLTRIX Collagen is easy to store. It should be stored in a cool, dry location between 1° and 30°C, away from sunlight. Product stability for COLTRIX Collagen is 3 months.